Wednesday 19 November 2014

Weekend in London

The weekend of October 11th /12th saw me up bright and early and off on the coach to the Knitting and Stitching show at Alexandra Palace.  This is really the only show I do in the year and I consider it to be the Rolls Royce of knitting shows.  Its not just a market place but an ideas feast too, as it hosts various other exhibitions and award shows. Thanks to my lovely hub for managing the shop and home while I was away. 

This year I made an overnighter of it... staying at my sisters, and meeting up with my daughter and her hub for a meal... then on the Sunday I was off to Bermondsey for another feast of all things knit at the Knitting: Chanel to Westwood Exhibition being held in the Fashion and Textile Museum.

At the Knitting and Stitching show I was greeted at the door by this floral extravaganza.


 It represents a tremendous amout of hard work by some very talented people and is really cute... but it is 'crafty' rather than 'designy' and for me it conjures up images of little old ladies. It's the design led work that gets me excited.  And I was really wowed by knitwear from the knitted textile design awards

Here are some of the photos...



This is by Emma Wright fromNottingham Trent Uni


Ainslee Mackie  Bath Spa Uni


Georgina Mae Central St Martins


Georgina Farrell Cass School of Art


The next day saw me wondering around London trying to find my way to the Museum of Fashion and Textiles.  There are a lot of building works and I got a bit lost as I made my way there... Perhaps there could be a few more signposts...



Most of the exhibition was a no photo zone, and there were some georgeous items on show. Here are some photos from the parts that were OK to photograph...
 


It was great to see one of Mark Fast's Dresses in real life... such intricate work...


Iben Hoej   Also does amazingly intricate work

And some photos taken from a  slide show....




And again... look at that dog bag!!





I've linked to all their websites or blogs so hope you can go an your own journey to see the lovely designs.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Ruth - lots of lovely stuff there to make the mouth water, eh?! Glad you had such a good time. Looking forward to seeing you model the Mark Fast dress I'm sure you brought home!! Take care, hugs x

    ReplyDelete